Thursday, June 21, 2012

What I'm Reading - Savages

Don Winslow -- I'm curious to read his other stuff now.  He has a bit of a Chuck Palahniuk flair to him -- but it's not as substantial -- well, correction -- not as substantial as some of his work.  But Don's voice is fun.  It carries you along.  I bought it two days ago and I'm already half way through the thing.

The novel chronicles the story of two small time Marijuana Producers/Dealers.  They're white boys gone bad.  One's got the Ivy League Education -- the other one has the SEALs training -- and they're sharing a girl.

The Cartel down south gets wind of how successful these Gringos are with their product, and decides to offer them a deal.  They say, "no."  But, the Cartel doesn't like the word "no."  And the cartel gets this bright idea that they can "inspire" the boys to work for them.

It's a fun novel that straddles the line between silly and cool.  But, I'm into it.  I'm also down to read his other works.  I like to read the book and then see the movie -- just to reverse engineer how they adapted the piece.

So far, lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment