Monday, June 18, 2012

Staying Motivated... put your money where your mouth is

I have a problem writing.  I have a problem doing anything that is good for me, really.  It is honestly so much easier to stay home, watch some Mad Men or maybe play Call of Duty and think about all the great things I'm going to do one day.  But...

You are what you do. 

I read a quote once that said, "he who limps is still walking."  I thought about it for a while, and it makes sense.  Some progress, it's better than no progress. 

I have an "arrangement" of sorts with a colleague of mine.  We each put in ten dollars at the beginning of the week into a pot.  Both of us have to do MINIMALLY one POMODORO (or one 25 minute block) of writing each day -- or we forfeit the pot.  Now, it's not a lot of money at ten dollars... but it builds up.  So, each week we hit our goals, and each week we keep putting in ten dollars.  All of the sudden, you REALLY start to second guess yourself when you try and say, "I don't have time to write" when it means you're going to forfeit a hundred dollar pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment