Tuesday, November 27, 2012

What I'm reading... "VENOM"

So, I remember standing in line at a Save-On when we were visiting my grandparents in Chicago, looking at the first appearance of Venom.  I didn't buy it.  I think I opted for a Spider-Man reprint that involved the Death of Captain Stacy at the hands of Doc Ock.

But Venom has always been kind of cool.  Well, let me correct that.  He was cool - and Marvel just sort of saturated the entire universe with venom himself, along with venom spawn, Carnage, all kinds of wanna be look alikes -- and it got old.

But, lately -- and I know this isn't brand new so I'm a little behind.  But there is a new Venom.

Flash Thompson.

Remember Flash Thompson, the guy that used to beat up Peter Parker in High School?  Well, he became friends with Peter Parker later - and he eventually joined Special Forces -- saw some combat - and lost his legs.

He drinks.  He's down.  He's a loser.  Right?

Wrong. The military has the Venom Spawn and they're trying to control it.  Trying to get it to be some kind of weapon -- and so they enlist our boy -- Flash.

And it is freaking cool.

They've taken Flash Thompson as addict, and translated that into him trying to keep the Symbiote (venom thing) under control.  It's pretty cool -- I recommend it.

The writer on the series for a while is this guy Rick Remender - and I came across him with the Uncanny X-Force.  I'll talk about that next time.

I'm still way behind on Invincible, Chew.  Saga is great if you haven't checked that out.  But, I'll keep you posted on things.


No comments:

Post a Comment