Sunday, August 29, 2010

Origins

The whole thing started as a short story. I have a hard time getting anything done if I don't have a deadline looming, a reason to do it -- so to speak. So, there was this zombie collection of short stories coming up, and I wrote the story in a couple weeks and sent it off -- they denied it -- but they denied Harry Potter for a while too! Okay, maybe it's not Harry Potter fame, but the point is -- one must never give up.

The idea of doing a comic again came after, guess what, a visit to the comic store. I hadn't been in a while, and I'd been floundering in the world of screenwriting. After a sobering article I read about the statistics of spec scripts getting bought, I decided to turn my eye to projects that I could finish -- things that were within my own power. It's one thing to write a screenplay and then say, hey you -- producer man -- go get five to twenty-five million (or more) dollars together and make my movie.

It's another thing to just get it up and done yourself. Sort of that independent filmmaker experience. So, I figure if Shakespeare had to put up is own plays (he had his troupe), then why should I be expected to do any less.

No comments:

Post a Comment